Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A picture's worth a thousand words...

which can be so depressing! A couple of months ago I decided that it was time for a family portrait. I found a photographer that I loved, Erin Johnson, and was quite excited to see the finished product. Much to my horror when I saw myself in the first photo I literally broke into tears (I'm not a big crier, so that's important to understand) over how large I looked.

You know how most people think that they look heavier than they actually are when it comes to photos, I'm not one of those individuals (at least until this episode). Although I'm far from being skinny, I've always considered myself normal. Well, that certainly went out the window, along with everything fattening in the house. I've been athletic all my life, at least until Logan was born, so when I became a mom, I assumed that the extra weight was something to be proud of (like, look at me I have a kid!) Boy, I sure was stupid. So, the debate in my head began, to lose or not to lose.

Right around this time my husband mentioned that he had joined a "fitness challenge" through his office and thought that it would be good for both of us to stick to the plan that his group was participating in at work. Great, since my motivation was high, this was my chance to start shaping up. I started working out five nights a week on our treadmill (surrounded by train tracks and Legos). I started to feel better but wasn't seeing the scale creep away from that horrible number. So, I decided that if I was really to make a go of it that I needed to enlist professional help. Since I've been active the majority of my life, I understand fitness regimes and lifting etc., so I prefer to stay away from those "meat market" gyms that are more fluff than substance.

There's a small gym right down the street from where we live so I decided to check it out. I met with the owner and explained what I was looking for. My goal was to start with a personal trainer to get back into the swing of things and then take off on my own. Although he was very polite, the first thing I asked him about was why people join this particular gym, his reply was "we cater to people who are middle aged, like yourself". WHOA! Since when is a 33 year old considered to be middle aged? As you can see from my photo on the main page, I'm no longer a cute 20 something, but I'm hardly middle aged. Aside from his strange sense of aging people, I thought that this gym would be the perfect fit for me. So, I inquired about training sessions and explained that my schedule was never "regular". Ok, so that was quickly swept aside when the cost came up and I was told what a "bargain" I was getting. Luckily, I had been doing some research beforehand and knew that it wasn't a "bargain". I did however purchase eight half-hour sessions to be used whenever and signed up. The other plus of this gym is that there are no contracts and you pay monthly. As a mom, that's key when some months simply slip by and you realize that you didn't have any time for yourself.

So, what's the point of this rambling you ask? Well, I've been at the gym for one month (only used one trainer session) and I've lost 8 lbs. (total weight loss over the past two months, 20 lbs.). I'm pleased with this stat because it shows me two things; 1) I do have the ability to keep myself motivated, at least for now and 2) I've made it a priority to carve out 1.5 hours at least four times a week to either get to the gym or use the treadmill at home. Those two facts alone have been very hard for me to prioritize.

As for my husband, well he has been doing well also. He enjoys running so he's been running a 10K at least 3-4 times a week. I'm no where near that because my knees are bad and more importantly, I loathe running! But it's been fun to keep each other motivated and see how much better we both look and feel even with our different approaches (he eats whatever and runs and lifts weights whereas I use Slim fast (once a day), utilize portion control and exercise 4-5 times per week.)

I hope that my motivation will be constant and that I can continue down this path...my goal is to lose a total of 60 lbs. which I know will take awhile so I want to do it the right way. Another great motivation is that my brother-in-law will be getting married next June so I truly hope that I can be at my goal weight by then and buy a fabulous new dress to celebrate!

Gotta go, time for a yummy rice cake!

3 comments:

Nell said...

Yuo aren't alone. I usually dispise my professional pictures. The last one we had taken I didn't even want to buy. Not just because of me, but they were just bad pictures. The lady didn't know what she was doing. BTW, Thanks for linking to us at MomsBlogging!

Nell

knicksgrl0917 said...

hey! i'm going to cali this weekend and won't be back until september...here is the website i was talking about where i made extra summer cash. Later! the website is here

4girls2many said...

If 33 is middle aged, then 41 must be old....Congratulations on your weight loss. 20 pounds isn't easy! Thanks for linking to us at Our Busy Family Life. We appreciate the support.